This tutorial demonstrates how to create a Smart PDF of your schematic design that you can view from a PDF reader using OrCAD Capture version 17.4 (2021). The Smart PDF includes a hierarchy that you can navigate through without losing your design IP. After you complete the tutorial, you will be able to:
- Configure the first-time setup for a Smart PDF
- Generate a Smart PDF
To follow along with this tutorial, continue with your design from Capture Walk-through 10 or use the included design file, CAPTURE TUTORIAL 11_SMART PDF. DSN.
- Select File > Export > PDF from the menu.
Note: If this is your first time generating a smart PDF, you may need to download Ghostscript. You will see this red text. Click on the link and download Ghost script.
- With Ghostscript installed, set the Converter Path to the location of the gswin64c file:
- Browse for the Output Directory to set the location to save the PDF.
- Leave the default settings for PDF Generation and click OK.
Note: View part information by clicking on the part in the PDF. Click on a reference designator in the bookmark, the PDF will zoom to that part. The same can be done for pins and nets.
By default, the schematic canvas will print in light mode despite your canvas settings. The PDF can be changed to print in dark mode or legacy mode by selecting Options > Extended Preferences from the menu. Select Schematic and change the schematic print theme to the desired settings.